Sunday, December 16, 2012

Four Jokes, A Riddle, and A Saying: Metaphors for Living

There are ways I notice I can make myself miserable. Other people make themselves miserable in these ways, too. I find the best way to explain how I do this is with four jokes, a riddle and a saying.

Joke One:

A grandmother takes her little grandson to the beach. It's a beautiful day. The sun is shining, as they stand in the shallow water and throw the beach ball back and forth. The little boy is giggling and running and having so much fun. And then, all of a sudden, the sky grows dark, there's a thunderclap, and a wave comes and sweeps the boy away. The grandmother is beside herself! She raises her hands to the sky and says: "He was only two years old!" "Why did you have to do that!" "My daughter-in-law is going to kill me!" She's carrying on like this for quite a while. And then there is a thunderclap and a big wave comes and deposits the boy at her feet, not a hair on his head harmed. Whereupon she raises her hands to the sky and says: "He had a hat!"

Yup. I can get a miracle and still be dissatisfied! I'm worried about something that has not happened. My son hasn't called in a couple of weeks. I hope he's okay. But, what if he isn't.....I didn't finish that thing from work, and, even though I have an extension, I am certain I will be shamed for being so slow to finish....And then my son calls. He's fine; just busy. My work gets done; and no shaming. And so it goes. Next thing you know I'm worrying about a health issue or a relational issue. Even when the situation I was so focused on resolves itself, there is always another situation to focus on. What is that? Neurotic behavior I'm sure, but also, it's not seeing the miracles all around and looking for the hat, so to speak. And more: it's not seeing the history of my worrying and it's outcomes...And just continuing to complain. I hate to admit it, but maybe there ought to be a 12-step program for negative thinkers. Although I work on my own negative thinking patterns, sometimes the support of others puts things in perspective. And the spiritual connection, whatever a person's connection is, allows us to be grateful for the miracles that we receive.

Next time: Joke Two.


No comments:

Post a Comment