Friday, January 27, 2012

Friday Night at the Movies: Good Therapy for Tough Times

In between husbands or boyfriends, I used to find myself feeling pretty "blue" on the way home from work especially on a Friday night. Where many people look forward to the weekend as heralding the beginning of time-off from work and time to do the things they love, I used to dread weekends, especially weekends where my friends were all busy and I hadn't found you (blog-readers), yet. But I found a wonderful way to get out of my head and into somebody else's life: films. What I do is take out one of my favorite films (Either from an on-line service or the video store or my own personal collection).The one thing every one of these films has in-common is that each is what I call a Strong-Woman-Film. Each has a main character who is a courageous women, whether by choice or by chance.

Some of my favorite films are not on the best-seller list. Although, some are. Or were. When I was going through my divorce, I would get out the ironing board, the iron and whatever clothes needed ironing (usually most of my clothes)--and pop in my pick of the day. And that day was usually Friday.

What is it about coming home from work Friday night and knowing that your honey is not going to meet you at the door? I find, even if I have weekend plans, and I almost always do, these days; just knowing that I will not have that sometimes overrated, often longed for, honey waiting home for me or coming home to me can be somewhat upsetting.

In the past, I comforted myself with a pint of Ben and Jerry's, but later decided that I didn't want to become a chubby and a lonely woman. That could only make me feel worse!

So, I stock up on films, ones that show strong women living brave lives. Some of my favorites are (and be
prepared for many chick-flicks, here): "The African Queen" with Katherine Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart;
"The Goodbye Girl," with Marsha Mason and Richard Dreyfus; "Out of Africa," with Meryl Streep and Robert Redford; "Married to the Mob," with Michelle Pfeiffer and Alec Baldwin; "It's Complicated," with Meryl Streep, Steve Martin, and Alec Baldwin; "Unconditional Love," with Kathy Bates, Rupert Everett and Dan Aykroyd; "The Painted Veil," with Naomi Watts and Edward Norton; "Something's Gotta Give," with Diane Keaton and Jack Nicholson; "All About My Mother," with Cecilia Roth and Penelope Cruz; "Straight Talk," with Dolly Parton and James Woods; "Heartburn," with Meryl Streep and Jack Nicholson; and Jane Fonda and Robert DiNiro in "Stanley and Iris."

Of course, there are many, many more, but I haven't memory enough or space enough to list them all. Right now, I'll be taking a hot bath and then curling up with Allie McBeal. I love her independent spirit!And the series was made in the 90s, I think--maybe before. That's right, it's Friday night! Hey, it's better than being with someone you wish you weren't with, right?








No comments:

Post a Comment